Select Another Company       

ENGINE COMPANY 51

College Hill

CFDHISTORY ---›Companies ---› ENGINES ---› ENGINE COMPANY 51

ORG
N-QTRS
N-QTRS
N-QTRS\r\n \t\t
COLLEGE HILL TOWN HALL
CEDAR & SALVIA
1654 MARLOWE
5801 HAMILTON AVE.
1911
1913(?)
1926
2009



Members Who Died In The Line:

  Capt. Thomas Purtell - January 19,1932

  Lester Meyers - October 15, 1951


This photo from June 19th shows that work on the new quarters for Engine 51 continues at a brisk pace. Much of the brickwork has been completed while the apparatus bays are taking shape.
Photo Steve Hagy

Engine 51, 2008 Rosenbauer/General, 1500 GPM HALE QMax Pump, 500 Gallon Tank, Shop # 81675
Photo Bill Strite

Placed in service 3-17-09.
Photo Bill Strite

Construction is underway on the new station. The first portion of the building is beginning to come out of the ground in this view from March 5, 2009. Those cinder blocks are forming the south wall of the apparatus bay.
Photo Steve Hagy

The ground breaking ceremony for Engine 51's quarters was held on February 5, 2009. Chief Robert Wright and other officials turn over some earth on a chilly day.
Photo Steve Hagy

The on-duty firefighters of Engine 51 were given the opportunity to turn over a shovel full of dirt during the ground breaking ceremony.
Photo Steve Hagy

Engine 51 along the Llanfair avenue side of the site where their future quarters will be located.
Photo Steve Hagy

Sliding the pole was once the norm in firehouses across America. Engine 51's quarters is still equipped with this pole.
Photo Steve Hagy

This is an architects rendering of the new quarters for Engine 51. The tower at the front of the building is reminiscent of a hose tower.
Photo Cincinnati Fire Department Collection

Floor plan for the new station shows 3 apparatus bays and plenty of beds in the bunk room. Could a transport unit be coming to College Hill?
Photo Cincinnati Fire Department Collection

This view of the 51's new house shows the apparatus bays which face east towards Hamilton Avenue. A portion of the vegetated roof can also be seen.
Photo Cincinnati Fire Department Collection

Overall view of the site pkan showing the placement of the building at the intersection of Hamilton and Llanfair Avenues. The groundbreaking for this house should occur sometime in early 2009.
Photo Cincinnati Fire Department Collection

New station in the works!
Photo Cincinnati Fire Department Collection

Beginning with the 2003 deliveries, apparatus now has "Cincinnati" lettered across the front of the cab.
Photo Steve Hagy

2003 Emergency One 1500 GPM - 500 Tank Shop #31680
The first of the new E-Ones to enter service, Engine 51 placed this pumper on the track at 5:35 p.m. on September 18, 2003. The engine is shown on it's first response, an EMS call on Leafwood Drive at 5:50 p.m.
Photo Steve Hagy

1988 Seagrave 1250 GPM - 300 Tank Shop #81671
Originally assigned to Engine 32.
Photo Steve Hagy

1982 Ford-Grumman 750 GPM - 300 Tank Shop #21673
1 of 4 pumpers of this type purchased. This engine has been rehabbed and is currently in service at Farmers, Kentucky.
Photo Steve Hagy

Firehouse as it appeared in 1979 or 1980. The biggest change over the last 30 years
is the removal of the swing-out style door in favor of the overhead door.
Photo Steve Hagy

1966 Seagrave 1000 GPM - 160 Tank Shop #4651
Three engines of this style were placed in service during the fall of 1966. They would represent the last conventional style (with the long hood) Seagrave pumpers to be purchased by the C.F.D.
Photo Steve Hagy

1945 Mack 1250 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25166
1 of 2 purchased, Shop #25166 was first assigned to Engine 43 in Camp Washington. This is a large engine and was probably a very tight fit in the apparatus bay.
Photo Ed Effron

1945 Mack 1250 GPM - 100 Tank Shop #25166 Like other apparatus constructed during WWII many of the parts that were normally chrome plated, such as the bumper and radiator shell, have been painted instead.
Photo Ed Effron

1937 Mack 750 GPM - 100 Tank
Photo Ed Effron

1918 Ahrens-Fox 750 GPM
Things have changed a lot since this photo was taken. Wonder what happened to the yard art?
Photo Steve Hagy Collection

1913 Republic-Ahrens-Fox 250 GPM
Engine 51 is shown in front of their former quarters on Cedar Avenue in this photo. Republic automobiles were constructed in Hamilton, Ohio.
Ahrens-Fox used these automobile chassis for many of the smaller apparatus which the company built prior to 1916.
Ten of the pumpers were purchased by the C.F.D. One remained in storage at the former quarters of Engine 33 until the early 1950\'s when it was driven to a scrapyard on the orders of Chief Houston.
Is that Spuds McKenzie behind the captain?
Photo Steve Hagy collection